Velocity is the average speed of development per Sprint, based on the actual past performance (e.g. 34 units of work per Sprint).
Velocity is mainly used as a guide for those purposes:
- For the Development Team to forecast the amount of work they can do in the next Sprint
- For the Product Owner to forecast the completion date of the project.
Velocity is calculated by the Development Team.
- Velocity, an article from scruminc
- Know Exactly What Velocity Means to Your Scrum Team, an article by Mike Cohn
- The Scrum Master Training Manual, a free ebook on Scrum, and the Professional Scrum Master™ (PSM™ I) exam
- Scrum Awareness, a free email course on Scrum framework